The "Team"

The "Team"
Haley, Marcy, Steve, John and Brandt

Friday, July 2, 2010

It's All About the Worm

Before I get side-tracked, does anyone happen to have the protein/fat/carb ratios for worms? No? Seriously? Well, fine then...I'll move on to the point of the post.

As Marcy indicated when this blog was set up, I am the village idiot who is best described as a busy family man. When you get right down to the nuts and bolts of things, my family comes first...sometimes to a fault. Last night was a very clear reminder of this, and it also provided somewhat of an epiphany for me.

It is time for me to start focusing on the worms...figuratively speaking, anyway.

We've all heard it a thousand times in our lives. "The early bird catches the worm." This rings especially true if you are a 40-year-old husband, and father of three very active kiddos. From the 2-year-old who raced into the garage the minute I pulled in last night, desperate to get some seat time in the Camaro (this kid obviously "gets it" when it comes to cars) , to the wife who had a very healthy and delicious dinner on the table and ready to go (love you my dear), to the ten year old who had cheer practice from seven until nine (5, 6, 7, 8...), to the young teen who absolutely HAD to see Eclipse for the second time in three nights (why is there such a fascination with vampires and werewolves, anyway?). They are all very dear to me, and they are all essentially competing for my time and attention. This is something I cannot ever forget.

By the time the family circus was all sorted out, my plans to go for a slog last night were shot...it was 10 p.m. and I was exhausted. I should have woken up early yesterday morning and done the workout before everyone was awake.

The early bird catches the worm

The bottom line is this...ironman training takes balance. My dear friends and ironman veterans Tom and Tobin manage to balance busy families, careers, and ironman training with near perfection, and without going insane. I can do this too, it just means a little earlier bedtime, and a little bit of pre-dawn motivation.

If you see me early one morning, on my hands and knees and tugging with my teeth at a long stringy object that seems to be firmly anchored in the soil beneath me, do not fear. I have found my balance. -Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment