The "Team"

The "Team"
Haley, Marcy, Steve, John and Brandt

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

30240 minutes until it's On Like Donky Kong - Marcy and Steve






October 26th. Circled in a big red block on the calendar glaring at me. Daring me to look at it.

October 26 = 30 weeks before Ironman Texas.

October 26 = The day we stop slacking, get our act in gear and follow a real training plan.




October 26 = Day 1

The plan is pretty simple.

10 weeks of base, 10 weeks of build, 10 weeks of peak.

We are going to be following a hybrid of the 30 week Be Iron Fit intermediate plan with some customization built in. (after all, I need to put my USAT coaching license to some good right?)

The thing I like about this plan is the consistency. For the two of us, that is the key. Tell us what to do, for how long, in what zones, and we will do it. Leave it up to the training Gods and while the workout may happen, it probably is not what we need to be doing. The plan goes something like this:


Monday - Off
Tuesday - Run and Swim
Wednesday - Brick
Thursday - Bike and Swim
Friday - Run
Saturday - Bike
Sunday - Run




Times and intensities will obviously increase as the weeks go by, but it is nice that we already know what we will be doing and when. We can plan out the week in advance and there should be no reason why we cannot complete the plan. I would like to say that our goal is 100%, but life does get in the way sometimes so we are just going into it with the hope to do 100% and deal with life when it interferes.

In the coming weeks, lots to do to get ready. Have our RMR (resting metabolic rate) test set up for this Friday morning. That one scares me a little especially seeing Haley's number. If she is in the 17's, I am afraid I will be somewhere in the 1400 to 1500 range given my age and weight. What that means is that I am already consuming way more calories than I should on a daily basis. But, that is why we are getting the test. We need to see what our baseline is so we can make better food choices. It is all the little things we need to start doing now that will get us to the finish line on May 21st.

Also on the schedule are run and bike LT tests. Yes, we will be training in heartrate zones. That may be frustrating as I know for me, i am going to have to go a lot slower to eventually get faster. Very counter-intuitive, but I know it works.
When we started designing the training plan back in the summer, it felt like October was so far away. And now, it's here. Just like right now May 21st seems so far away, but in the blink of an eye, it will be here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment