The "Team"

The "Team"
Haley, Marcy, Steve, John and Brandt

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

August/September: Haley








I've put off a new blog entry because I feel there isn't much to write about. My recovery is slow going at best and I just try to fill my days with things to do, while getting enough rest.

Throughout August and now through September, my main job & responsibility is to go to Physical Therapy 3x/wk at Bethesda Naval hospital. Most days are very frustrating and painful, but every day I look back to where I was in April-June when I couldn't walk at all. I've come a long way since the initial injury in March, and I can walk casually (not speed walking) for over an hour now. I distinctly remember the day where I wanted to cry walking 250 meters. I was at my favorite park and couldn't make it to my mental distance marker, the bridge.

In the meantime, I have acquired yet another bike (really guys, this is getting out of hand). I bought a cyclocross bike with the idea of doing a long distance bike touring trip or two this fall. The first one was supposed to be over Labor Day weekend, but the Perfect Storm of events prevented that from happening. Instead, I've been using it to reacquaint myself to two wheels. My handling has improved, I'm not nervous anymore like I was at the beginning of August and I'm really enjoying it! I can't wait to start riding my tri bike when my hip allows me. Right now it's a flexibility and positioning issue as the aero position of a tri bike isn't really possible at this moment. That's ok, I'll get there.

CrossFit is back into my normal routine. I usually hit 3-4 classes a week where they customize workouts to my ability. All the upper body focus has torn up my hands, arms and shoulders, but it's better than nothing and it's very fun. All the wounds are worth it!

I made more of an effort to swim as well. Not as often as I like (probably because of all the CrossFit), but I've also been taking this time to do fun 'life' things. A camping trip, a trip to visit friends and waterski...oh yeah...should I be waterskiing?...and miscellany.


There aren't many "goals" I can list for September. I want to continue what I'm doing to get back to being a person that can go outside and walk or ride a bike. I'd have to say I'd like to walk 5 miles with minimal discomfort, but that might not be possible yet. I'm getting there. Slowly.




No comments:

Post a Comment