The "Team"

The "Team"
Haley, Marcy, Steve, John and Brandt

Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Morning in McKinney


Today I completed the Stonebridge Sprint. It was a sprint for goodness sake. In my triathlon career I have done many many sprints. Too many to count. Why was this one different?

This was only the third race I have done this year, and really the first that I don't mind talking about.

Race #1 was the half Ironman at LoneStar in Galveston. Really, the only highlight of my day on that HOT, CLOUDLESS Sunday was finishing without puking. 1:06 in the water....for a half Ironman...are you freakin kidding me? OK bike, and the death march run. There was not enough aloe cream in all of Galveston to help the sunburn pain go away. Never before in the 5+ years I have been racing, have I so questioned why I do this. The race itself could not have been run better, it was my personal demons that reared their ugly heads.

Then, Memorial Day comes and the "incident" at the Honey Tour. Be careful of what you wish for because for someone who questioned whether they wanted to continue to race, I was sure pissed that I couldn't. For the first time ever, I watched a triathlon from the sidelines while Steve raced at Metroplex. I crutched from the swim to the bike to the run wishing I could be out there.

Once I got the clearance to "run", I immediately signed up for the Take on the Heat tri. My big comeback! Standing in line at the swim start, I really felt like I had never done this before. Swim was OK. Although I had not spent a lot of time in the water, I was not nervous about a pool swim. The bike was OK until I popped a spoke at mile 4 and spent the rest of the ride convinced that at any time my rear wheel was going to implode. The run was more of a stroll through the neighborhoods of The Colony.

So I decided to register for Stonebridge. A 750 meter open water swim, 12 mile bike and 5K run. I am well removed from the broken leg. I have been running pretty consistently. biking occasionally and well. I know where the pool is :)

I finally feel like I have a performance worthy of a race report!

Swim -
750 meter swim - 21:05
Really did not feel this long in the water but I am not sure where the timing mat was. The thing about the venue is that the run from swim out to the transition area was LONG. Like for a second I though that a triathlon was swim/run/T1/bike...etc. Getting in to the water was actually great since the water was warmer than the air. The gun went off and I swam. Not fast, but comfortable. Sighting was spot on. (I may not be fast, but I am accurate). Didn't really get a chance to draft, but when some chick started to swim into me I did not do my normal ease up and let them go. Instead I kept my line and swam straight over her! I am such a rebel ;). Only issue was coming out of the water, when I stood up, I cut my big toe on a rock or something. I knew it hurt, but what are you going to do?

T1-
3:52. Up the boat ramp, down a rather large grassy hill, over the river and through the woods...you get the picture!. The hill, BTW, was very wet, very muddy and very slippery. Then around and through the tennis courts until I FINALLY made it into the transition area. The problem was, this was a completely different way into transition and I was totally lost. Had to have a volunteer point me to my rack. Classic rookie mistake. Helmet, shoes and glasses on, it's time to ride!

Bike
12 miles - 43:27
I like to ride! I was happy with a 16.6 average, especially with the winds blowing from the North at about 20. It was a 2-loop square course. The good thing about the winds were that they helped up Ridge which is about 3 miles slightly uphill and although I had it in my face on the 3 mile stretch on Stonebridge, it is mostly slightly downhill so it dd not totally suck. Bike preformed great and overall just had a good ride. Passed a TON of people. Got out of my shoes and executed a fairly decent flying dismount. It was then I realized my toe had bleed into my bike shoe.

T2-
1:43. I may not be the fastest at any of the 3 "real" disciplines, but I have the 4th mastered. Bike racked, helmet off, socks (yes socks), shoes on. Grab hat and race belt and hit it. No screwing around in transition.

Run -
3.1 miles - 36.05
I know, not speedy but for me, this was a huge confidence booster. This was the first time since Memorial Day that I ran an entire 5K. All my runs up to this point were a run/walk combo. OK, I did walk the aid station but only because running while I try to drink makes me choke. Plus I wanted to get a GU gel down. So, other than that, I ran and was very happy with my final 11:34 a mile pace. Mostly, I was happy that I had no leg pain (although the toe was not happy). At the end, I actually felt like I had some left in the tank. For the first time EVER, I sprinted past some guy in the finishing chute! I never do that! I didn't place as they grouped all Athena's together and there were some stupid fast "larger statured" ladies out there. But if they did separate it out, I was the second fastest "old fat chick out there!

(the guy in the black just got "chicked" by yours truly)



Look, I know I will never be fast. Shit, I'm 46, 15 pounds heavier than I want to be, and really, just want to enjoy the experience of being out there with my friends and doing my best. What more could I ask of a chilly, windy Sunday in McKinney, Texas?

(trying to keep warm pre-race with Andy and Shannon Watson)

2 comments:

  1. Great job, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love the picture of you chicking the guy in Johnny Cash black. He's like 2' taller than you! Let me know if you plan on doing any long rides on the weekend any time soon out in Ft. Worth, I'd like to tag along! :)

    ReplyDelete