The "Team"

The "Team"
Haley, Marcy, Steve, John and Brandt

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweating at Sunrise


I started "running" a week ago.

When I went to the orthopedic doctor the Tuesday after I broke my leg, he talked about in about 8 weeks I could probably start on the elliptical for a few minutes a day and gradually work towards running in about 12. Imagine my surprise when he told me that I could run. He did tell me to start gradually and slowly work my way back, and that is what I have been doing.

So I devised my own rehab plan starting with a conservative 3 minute walk and 1 minute run.

But, since I know misery loves company, I asked fellow Idiot Brandt if we wanted to join me for some sunrise sweating. Brandt, being the great friend that he is decided that he would make the sacrifice of an hour sleep to meet me at the park at 6.

Monday morning comes, and we start at it. It was weird. Physically the leg felt OK, but mentally I kept thinking that each time my foot hit the path, it was going to snap. One interval, two, then three and my leg is still in one piece. Wow, I can do this. I can run. I think we averaged in the high 14's a mile but that was OK. Brandt did great. I was so proud of him!

We ran Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri together. Seeing the same early risers at about the same place on the trail each morning. There is older woman walking golden retriever, young Asian man who runs alone in one direction and then we cross paths again while he is walking with about 5 ladies. And the young guy with 6 foot legs who makes it look easy.

Brandt and I keep trucking along. This week we start a 2:30 walk and 1:30 run. Small steps still get to the same destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment