The "Team"

The "Team"
Haley, Marcy, Steve, John and Brandt

Friday, July 9, 2010

Trying to do the right thing


I like watching documentaries. I also know that you have to take them with a grain of salt. Like most things, they are skewed to the side of the person making the film. Michael Moore is a hero or villain depending on which side of the aisle you are on. But regardless, I like watching documentaries. And whether I agree with the point of view of the filmmaker or not, I usually learn something.

Thanks to my new found obsession known as Netflix, I have watched several during my trainer rides. The one that really struck me was "Food Inc.". If you have not had the opportunity to see it, I highly recommend it. Here is a link to the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eKYyD14d_0

It really got us thinking. Thinking about what we eat. We don't eat too bad. We used to live on processed food. Frozen everything. We have gotten much better, but we could still improve.

The thing that got me most about the movie was the way animals are "farmed" for our consumption. Cows, which are herbivores are fed corn, steroids and antibiotics to fatten them up fast so they can end up in the supermarket. So we started looking around for some local farms to buy some meat.

Tomorrow I am going to have my first steak from a grass-fed cow. One of our local farmers market carries it from a farm in Decateur. If it's good, we may be making a trip up there to stock up.

Also bought some beautiful melons and berries from the farmers market. Support the local guys.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH! I buy 99.9% of my meat from local farms. It's so good and so fun! There are also some good buffalo farms in TX too.

    Cook it a little on the medium-rare side. Much better that way ;)

    ReplyDelete